Comp. in 2 Genres: Compositions

Georgina Paez
12/01/2020
Psychopathology in Literature, Writing Section

​The Slave:

Beloved, with your presence you bring on the past.
The past that has enslaved me and taken control of my mind.
It takes and takes and takes but it doesn’t give back, what I want most, to be free at last.

A slave I was, and a slave I still am to the trauma that roams free inside my head.
Maybe in death I will break free from these chains that have been casted upon me since the day my mother left.

Forgive me beloved for taking your life, trust me I know that it wasn’t right. I was just trying to protect you from the pain I’ve experienced.
I didn’t want you to witness the wickedness of this life.
I wish I could’ve kept you and I could see you alive. Oh Beloved, what I’d give to change the past !

Schoolteacher’s treatment, I’ll never forget.
In the past, he dehumanized us slaves and treated us like pets.
For it was in his eyes, that I learned of the evil within men.
He’d beat and abuse us, without a care in the world, and left us with nightmares for the rest of our days.
His face I can still see in that of every white man.

While my body is in the future, my mind dwells in the past. The past that has marked my path in this life.
Misery, sadness, and guilt, is all that is left,
And of course, the constant feeling that wishes to forget.

Beloved, my dear child forgive my mistakes, which has caused you to haunt me and not be at rest.
The guilt for my actions eats up at my heart, and my dear Beloved, I tried making it right.
I tried to serve and care for your spirit like I would’ve done if you had lived, but those townsmen have chased you away and we’ve been separated again. Trust me, I want you so bad, but you’re not what I need.
For you, my dear beloved, are one from the past, and in the past you should stay along with my trauma.

With my mind being tortured by the events of the past, I feel like a prisoner to my own thoughts. Beloved I must move on, and break free from the chains that have trapped me for so long.
I must open the door to the future, and begin a new chapter in my life.
Dearly Beloved, may your spirit rest in peace. May all that be left of you, are memories.
The memories of my past, that I still struggle with, but perhaps now I can open the door to new opportunities.

The Slave: